- Start with the purpose of the meeting, not just in terms of the outcomes you need, but in terms of the beliefs and attitudes of the people who will be required to deliver that outcome.
- Develop a clear picture of where they are currently in terms of those beliefs and attitudes and in respect of the intended outcomes (this may require a few individual conversations).
- Understand the changes that will need to take place in individual beliefs and attitudes to arrive at a place of ownership for the outcomes. This may be different for different people/groups.
- Think through the questions, explorations, information, and debate that people will realistically need to go through these changes (use yourself as an example – if you thought that way, what would you need?)
- Identify the best activities to provide that exposure to people’s thinking – ideally activities that can address several different mindsets at once and bring them more closely aligned
- Sort out the most logical sequence for these activities – ideally a sequence which people would naturally work through, where one step leads onto the next
- Keep watching the dynamics of what is going on and how people are engaging with it – not the detail of what is said, but how it is said and the effect that it has
- Where problems or inefficiencies begin to emerge, understand the reason for these. Quite often it is because people have temporarily lost focus on the objective or the process or both. But sometimes it is due to entrenched disagreement or politics, or bad behaviour.
- Work through what needs to be done to bring people’s thinking back on track, or to resolve (or move around) the issue, and find the best way to introduce this idea to the group (or even better for them to ‘discover’ it themselves)
Please subscribe to access clinic content
Subscription to the Inspirometer Information Service is free of charge and grants you instant access to a wealth of meeting effectiveness resources and guidance. It also provides you with regular updates direct to your mailbox at a frequency of your choosing.
I am happy to consent to the Inspirometer cookies and Terms and Conditions
■ We will not use your information for any other purpose than to keep you informed of developments in meeting effectiveness and the Inspirometer system, and we will not share your information with others.
■ You are able to unsubscribe from this service at any time. Each email you receive from us will contain a link where you can reset your preferences for all future emails, or unsubscribe for the service entirely.
■ We will contact you on a minimum of a quarterly basis to ensure that our service is continuing to meet your needs, to give you a general update on key developments in our service, and to provide you with the option to change your contact preferences
■ We will hold your data on file to enable your access to the Information Service until such time as you unsubscribe from the service
■ All information provided by us is provided in good faith. All information submitted by you is to be provided in good faith.
■ In compliance with the GDPR 2018, you acknowledge that clicking the subscribe button grants us your consent to hold the data you have provided, and to contact you using that data, in the manner described above.